Saturday, September 25, 2010

feelings...this is a deep one.

I have a developing theory that in order to fully love, you can’t ever stop loving everyone you’ve ever loved in your whole life.  No I wasn't high when I came up with this...just hear me out.

That person you broke up with six monthes ago, lets face it, you just weren’t right for eachother.  But you never really stopped loving them, but you probably told yourself until you forgot about them that you didn't.  Sometimes we treat love like a light switch…"on" when we’re in that room, but when we move on to another room, we shut it off.  Telling your heart to love no longer is lying to it.  If you tell your heart not to love enough times, then it won't just turn on.  You can't "clap on, clap off" it like that terrible infomercial from the 90's.  Love doesn't work that way!

No wonder break ups are traumatizing.  It's like wear and tear on a knee for a runner. Except, the heart shows wear and tear by feeling less and less over time.  It’s working different, because you’re different.  You act differently, you subconsciously think differently, you probably even look different (or maybe that’s just me; after breakups I usually lose 5 lb’s and drastically color my hair).  You slowly limit your loving ability with every “failed” relationship...you know how "there's no crying in baseball!!"  Well, in my best Tom Hanks voice..."there's no failing in loving!!"  You lose a little of yourself everytime you say goodbye to someone.  We all do this, but after making sense of our emotional reactions, why do we keep doing it?

Stop losing out and make every relationship count.  See the time you spend with people as investments, whether it a love interest, your parent, your sibling, or a complete stranger.  When something goes wrong, you didn’t fail, it just wasn’t the right time, for you or for them.  There is no guilt or shame in playing a game and it not ending with rainbows and butterflies.  Secondly, genuinely continue to feel the love you’ve always felt for them.  Don’t let your pride get in the way and tell you you don't need them, love them, respect them, or miss them.  Give it your all, and every single time.  It's not your fault if their too emotionally immature to handle the way they feel towards you.  Know that you can love someone and not talk to them, date them, agree with them, or validate them.  There is no right or wrong when it comes to the feelings of the heart, sometimes it just “is”, and that is ok.  Stop lying to yourself, and lying to your heart, because it has never lied to you.

I think I belong in the 70's with my hippie love theories...I guess I just don't need the weed. :-)

1 comment: