Monday, April 18, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude...DAY 1

My "Dating DC" project, while fun and hilarious, was a bit of an epic fail. (But fun...and I made some friends, and that, afterall, was the point...)

For the next 30 days, I'm going to write everyday about the first thing or things that come to mind when I think of what I'm thankful for. What better way to make hard work worth all the time when I can recenter myself at least once a day....

Today, I can't stop thinking about my good friend, Cinnamon.

The funny part is....I haven't seen her in a while, and our next date in fact is next weekend. It's not like she's sitting next to me or on the phone or looking at her picture or...nope. Actually, I don't even think I have a picture of her. (fakebook doesn't count..) And if you ask me to describe why I'm thankful for her...which I'm about to try...it's nearly impossible. She somehow eeked her witty and compassionate self into my big heart and when I need a dose of anything...honesty, face-time, inspiration, an ear, someone to point out my biggest flaws or give me the credit that I rarely get but probably deserve...she is becoming the light bulb that goes off in my brain....probably because:

--She's so smart. She's my cuter, person version of wikipedia. :-) She ALWAYS knows the answer and if she doesn't, then give her 3 minutes and she'll have one. She knows what book to hand me when I need a good read; what joke will make me piss my pants, and when to show up in the ER when no one else did (even though my visits are too frequent to really be urgent anymore.)

--She's so pretty. On my birthday, she wore the prettiest cashmere sweater than genuinely made me contemplate cashmere like I was high....why is cashmere so soft? How is she pulling off a sweater?! (I decided I was too young for sweaters, but after seeing hers..) And my final question about this sweater....where the hell can I get a said-cashmere sweater?! She always has the widest, most genuine smile on her face, and it always brings one out of me. After 2 weeks of not seeing her, I never, EVER know what color her hair might be, which has become a complete build-up, almost like I'm meeting her all over again. She always has cute shoes...she can go from business-cinnamon to workout-cinnamon in 6 seconds. Mostly, she's the best sharer I know. I grew up in a big family....I shared everything with everyone! Socks with my brother, shoes with my mom, I shared my bed with my sisters on many occasions...but outside of the Norse clan, I hadn't met someone so outrightly giving. Cinnamon could have been a Norse. All of these things make her stupidly pretty to me!

--MOST important to me: she calls me on my shit. She points out when I'm being a brat, demanding, too independent and when I push people away. She asks all the right questions, and then follows up when I see her next. I can honestly say that her "coaching" personality not only makes her a great friend, but I am just better at living life because of it. She makes me want to be equally as amazing, not just right back at her, but to the whole damn world. There should be a law regarding how much of her to get in one day, because I'm absolutely certain that if we spent a full day together we'd either rule the world or end up in jail....or both.

I was reading something the other day......all we ever really need in our life to live fully is at least ONE person who loves us for who really are....and while I'd like to think I have tons of people this applies to, I know for sure that while this woman has every reason to judge me or not love me because of my gaping flaws, all of which she knows completely about; she actually loves me in spite of them. That's real love, and I really love her. :-)

Everyone should have a Cinnamon in their life...jus' saying. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment