Big girl wine nights are my favorite…I get so excited because one could never predict the direction our conversations will go. You can imagine the build up when Wendy texts me a couple of hours before we meet on her porch…”I have something CRAZY to tell you. I have knots in my stomach.” The best part? I have NO idea what to expect.
Fast forward…porch sitting, wine glasses in hand:
Me: Wendy, do tell. Is he gay? Does he have secret children? Drug dealer?? So, what is it?
Wendy: No, are you crazy! Nothing like that. I’ve been a sleuth.
Me: A sleuth? Lol, what do you mean?
Wendy: Well, I was awake last night when he snuck out…it was 1:54 am.
Me: Youre convincing me your psycho right now, but this is gonna be good. Go on.
Wendy (shrugging, and in the most casual possible way, she then says): Lol. So, I got outa bed, ya know, brushed my teeth and washed my face. Then I got all dressed in black and followed him.
Me: SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. Now…I’m convinced, your nuts. But go on.
Wendy: Well, I just wanted to see if he went to his store like he said he did. So I went to the store, and he wasn’t there.
Me: So then you came home…
Wendy: NO! Then I went to his house, and his lights were on…but those damn blinds! I couldn’t see anything! And I had to be careful because they have an alarm system…
Me: And it’s a good thing they do, to prevent you from sneaking in through the windows!! You mean to tell me…you’re crazy ass got out of your car??
Wendy (again, in a completely casual and I-do-this-shit-all-the-time kind of voice): Oh its not the first time I’ve gotten out of my car and inspected his house before…
Me (now big eyed, and laughing hysterically): Of course you have wendy….
Wendy: Lol, what?!?! Just a modern day Nancy Drew.. (I can’t make that shit up…she really said that…)
Me (now laughing too hard to speak….)
Wendy: WHAT?! You would have done it too!!
Me: no, not a chance…but I’m not judging. Dude, you didn’t think this one through, wen. What if you had gotten caught?!
Wendy: Oh!! Well, here’s the crazy par-
Me: THERE’S A CRAZY PART?!?!
Wendy (still laughing..) Well, I had printed out the information for Go Green Arlington and was going to pretend to be a door to door girl…you know, trying to convince them to, ya know, go green!!
Me: Of COURSE. (My head is now shaking in my hands…and if in this conversation I was speechless, I’m now that, times 10.)
Wendy: What?!!? If that’s not thought out, I don’t know what is!!
Dialogue went on for some time. The truth is, our modern day nancy drew here is one of my favorite people in the whole world. She’s resourceful and while this story might convince you otherwise, she’s highly intelligent. AND she’s beautiful. She has a billion guys following her around all the time, hoping that they will get that chance to tie her down, but she’s kind of un-tie-down-able. It’s my personal favorite, when she invites all the men in her life to a party, and they all show up, thinking their with her. She has the imagination of a 7 year old, yet last night we celebrated her 30th birthday. I personally hope that she never, ever grows up and will always remain my modern day “Nancy Drew.”
I love you Linds! P.S. the sleuth work paid off...
ReplyDeleteso...what's the crazy part? I don't know Wendy or the guy, but I have to know what happens!!!
ReplyDelete